Embrace the revolution
I remember the first time I tried the "overnight oats" thing, and it was far before it'd become a fad of epic proportions. When Quaker comes out with its own version, you know popularity has exploded.
At the time I wasn't eating eggs, and once you give up one of the fastest breakfast options ever, what's that leave?! If "oatmeal" makes you think of gloppy stovetop gruel, I guarantee you this is the oatmeal for her. The oats absorb the liquid overnight, plumping to chewy perfection. The toppings and ingredients are interchangeable and the possibilities endless.
I love overnight oats because:
- It's convenient.
- You can eat it warm or cold.
- It's a fast, able-to-enjoy-at-your-desk breakfast.
If you have busy mornings, need breakfast to-go, or like me work from home and forget to eat anything but coffee or tea for the first hour or two of your day, this could become your new favorite morning option.
- 1/2 cup of oats (I like Bob's Red Mill GF)
- 3/4 cup of almond milk (I prefer unsweetened)
- 1/2-1 Tbsp of seeds or nuts such as walnuts, cashews, chia seeds, hemp seeds
- 1-2 Tbsp of dried fruit such as raisins, cranberries, dates
- 1-2 tsp sweetener such as maple syrup, agave nectar
- Mix all ingredients in a Mason jar or working jar (I've fallen in love with these, a recommendation from Cookie + Kate).
- Cover with lid and refrigerate overnight or a minimum of 4 hours.
- In the morning, you can enjoy as-is or add fresh fruit or more milk if it's too thick.
- Prefer it warm? Remove the lid and microwave or finish in a soup pot over medium heat until warmed throughout.
Some of my favorite ways to enjoy overnight oats are:
- Frozen blueberries, walnuts, flax meal
- Smashed banana, cinnamon, and maple syrup
- Vanilla yogurt, cocoa powder, and walnuts
Once we tried them, we were hooked! There are lots of amazing recipes online from fancy to basic. I particularly love Oh She Glows for her gorgeous food photos (and the most beautiful + functional app EVER.) If you want to check out her recipe for Overnight Oats, click here.
Let me know if you try it!
*some links are affiliate links